Tuesday 3 May 2011

FEEDBACK

The WORDWEB dictionary defines feedback as
NOUN: FEEDBACK 
1)Critical assessment or suggestions to improve performance 
2)The process in which part of the output of a systems is returned   to its input in order to regulate its further output 
3)Response to an inquiry or experiment
VERB: FEEDBACK 
1)Submit (information) again to a program or automatic system 
2)Respond to a query or outcome

Hey!!! don’t run away please. Neither am I interested nor am I distantly qualified to take a class on English language here. I am here simply to focus on the point 3 under noun: feedback. Ok, enough. I guess I must get to the point now.
It took me 12 posts and 13 days to share my blog with people through FACEBOOK. A big part of me was waiting for the feedback and a really big part of it was hoping it would be good. It was then I started to actually wonder, why am I writing in the first place? It’s significantly uncharacteristic of me to be attempting such a stunt! Being a guy who has never read a single comic book and never did more creative writing than a couple of essay competitions he was forced to participate in, it would be no way wrong to say that I and literature share the same relationship as Gabbar Singh and Thakur Sahab. The more spiritual part in me pops up here with what is apparently a satisfactory answer, to vent my emotions and thoughts. A friendly voice from the neighbourhood supports it saying "you are giving the world a fair chance to know your thoughts, doesn’t matter if all of them out there don’t read it". The “more like me” part in me says “nautanki sala!! Kaam dhanda hai nahin, nikal pada lekhak banne!”. The timidly intelligent part of me attempted to join in with its own opinion saying “it will help improve your writing skills and language in general”. But it was too much for the “more like me” part of me and I haven’t shown any sign of intelligence since then. There were a few other faint chatters I could hear but thought it wise to ignore them all.
Not really concluding much in this regard I diverted my mind towards the feedback that had just come in. The FACEBOOK likes and comments made me feel like I had just won the world cup for India. Some contained heavy words like “respect” and “inspire”  which were as good as a bucket at KFC. (Believe me, a bucket at KFC means a lot more to me than you can possibly imagine.) However, I now realize that feedback is crucial. May be it demands some courage to accept the criticisms and some down to earth attitude to take the pat on the back, but in whatever form it comes, it sure influences the cause. Some encourage, some motivate, some discourage and some go for the kill, but they all have significant effect on what would otherwise have been a very different outcome. It then struck me. May be, this is the true reason I write, to see what people feel about what I feel. Thankfully, the “more like me” part in me came to my rescue at this disastrous conclusion and I was spared a virtual life full of illusion, before it was too late. Though I realize the consequence of feedback now, I am still stuck with the question on my sudden interest in writing. May be “you know what!!” can help me out here.
Before signing off with this “not even a time-pass” post, I would like to sincerely thank all the readers who have lent me more than their time, patience and tolerance. Thanks a ton!! 

P.S: Refer to my earlier posts for "you know what!!".

1 comment: